Title IX Complaint
Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 is one of several federal and state anti-discrimination laws that ensure equality in education. Title IX prohibits discrimination, harassment, exclusion, denial, limitation or separation based on sex or gender. Title IX applies to both male and female students in any educational institution receiving federal funding.
District Title IX Coordinator
Hermosa Beach City School District
1645 Valley Drive
Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
(310) 937-5877 ext. 258
Filing a Title IX Complaint
Student Rights Pursuant to CA Education Code Section 221.8
CA Education Code section 221.8 provides as follows:
The following list of rights, which are based on the relevant provisions of the federal regulations implementing Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. Sec. 1681 et seq.), may be used by the department for purposes of Section 221.6:
- You have the right to fair and equitable treatment and you shall not be discriminated against based on your sex.
- You have the right to be provided with an equitable opportunity to participate in all academic extracurricular activities, including athletics.
- You have the right to inquire of the athletic director of your school as to the athletic opportunities offered by the school.
- You have the right to apply for athletic scholarships.
- You have the right to receive equitable treatment and benefits in the provision of all of the following:
- Equipment and supplies.
- Scheduling of games and practices
- Transportation and daily allowances
- Access to tutoring
- Locker rooms
- Practice and competitive facilities
- Medical and training facilities and services
- You have the right to have access to a gender equity coordinator to answer questions regarding gender equity laws.
- You have the right to contact the State Department of Education and the California Interscholastic Federation to access information on gender equity laws.
- You have the right to file a confidential discrimination complaint with the United States Office of Civil Rights or the State Department of Education if you believe you have been discriminated against or if you believe you have received unequal treatment on the basis of your sex.
- You have the right to pursue civil remedies if you have been discriminated against.
You have the right to be protected against retaliation if you file a discrimination complaint.
Statement of Nondiscrimination: Complaints of unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying are investigated through the District Uniform Complaint Procedure.
Our District and the Title IX Coordinator are aware of and acknowledge the new Title IX regulations released on May 6, 2020 and effective as of August 14, 2020. Our Title IX Coordinator and team received training on these new regulations on September 23, 2021. Our training materials are available for review Title IX Training Materials. We are in the process of reviewing and revising our Title IX policy and practices, which includes input from our stake-holders in order to implement a fair, thorough and impartial Title IX complaint process and District response. As always, if you want to report a sexual harassment incident, please reach out to our Title IX Coordinator, Christine Diaz, at District Office, 1645 Valley Drive, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254; (424) 333-9975 ext. 1258 or [email protected]
- Complaint Form