Immunizations & Exemptions
As of January 1, 2016, Senate Bill 277 prohibits parents/guardians of students in any school or child-care facility, whether public or private, to submit a personal beliefs exemption for any currently required immunization.
Starting July 1, 2019, new immunization regulations will go into effect per the California Code of Regulations Title 17, Division 1, Chapter 4. If your child is starting preschool, transitional kindergarten, kindergarten, or 7th grade, you are encouraged to take two important steps to avoid being excluded from school.
STEP 1: Check your child’s immunization record. If your child does not meet the school immunization requirements, get your child vaccinated as soon as possible. Please review the vaccine requirements below based on your child’s age:
- CDPH - Parents’ Guide to Immunizations Required for Pre-Kindergarten (Child Care) (Starting July 1, 2019)
- CDPH - Parents’ Guide to Immunizations Required for School Entry - Students Admitted at TK/K-12 (Starting July 1, 2019)
Make an appointment with your child’s regular health care provider for immunizations.
STEP 2: Provide your child’s school with documentation that shows that your child has received all required immunizations BEFORE the first day of school. Remember, children who have not provided HBCSD with documentation verifying they have received all required immunizations prior to the first day of school will not be allowed to attend school until all immunization records have been provided.
California immunization laws and HBCSD Immunizations School Board Policy 5141.31 require that upon school entry, all pupils must show written proof of immunizations. An immunization record completed by a physician or clinic or the blue California School Immunization Record from a former school or another state’s school record
serves as documented proof.
Documents must include:
- Child’s first and last name
- Child’s date of birth
- Type and date (month/day/year) of each dose of vaccine.
- Name of physician or clinic who administered the vaccine.
- If immunizations are transcribed from previous records by the attending physician/clinic. “TRANSCRIBED” must be written next to each immunization or diagonally across all lines for a vaccine series. The attending physician/clinic stamp must be stamped on the front of the immunization record to confirm who verified the immunizations.
HBCSD Medical Exemptions and Immunization Compliance for School Entry (Starting January 1, 2021)
- CDPH - Parent Brochure with Easy-to-Understand Immunization Schedule
- CDPH - Preteen Vaccine Recommendations Flyer for Parents
- CDPH - Vaccine Safety: Answers to Parents’ Top Questions
- CDC - Vaccine Information Statements (VISs) by Vaccine
- EZIZ - Parent Education (Vaccine Safety)
- HBCSD Immunizations School Board Policy 5141.31
- HBCSD Immunizations Regulation 5141.31