Independent Study PE
Independent Study Physical Education
The purpose of the HBCSD Independent Study Physical Education (ISPE) program is to provide an alternative to the regular physical education or athletics classroom while remaining consistent with the HBCSD course of study and CA State Physical Education Framework for physical education.
Students who participate in the ISPE program are engaged in advanced levels of competition, not recreational sports or most club-level individual/team participation. The program is designed for the student who is engaged in a preparation program for National, State, or Olympic-level athletic competition. ISPE is available for eligible students in grades 6-8.
Criteria for Eligibility
- The student shall participate in supervised instruction, which may include training, competition, and/or performance for a minimum of ten (10) hours every five school days (Monday-Friday).
- The student must have an overall minimum 2.5 grade point average, no “Unsatisfactory” grades in citizenship, and consistently good attendance/behavior.
- Documentation of competition and/or performance at the Regional (Northern, Central, or Southern California), State, or National level. (Examples of documentation may include videotape or photographs of performance, award/place/participation certificates, meet/event participant lists, and newspaper listings stating participant’s information).
- All students in grade 7 are required to complete and pass The California Physical Fitness Test (CA PFT) and FITNESSGRAM in five categories (Aerobic Capacity, Abdominal Strength and Endurance, Trunk Extensor Strength and Flexibility, Upper Body Strength and Endurance, and Flexibility) prior to eligibility to participate in ISPE. Administration of the CA PFT will take place prior to the beginning of each school year for interested students.
- For each semester of continued enrollment in the program, the student must maintain an overall minimum 2.5 grade point average, no “Unsatisfactory” grades in citizenship, and consistently good attendance/behavior.
- Behavior infractions of a serious nature, including school suspensions, may result in loss of eligibility for ISPE. Attendance, behavior, and academic records will be reviewed on a regular basis.
- Students must complete an HBCSD ISPE Individualized Learning Plan and obtain signatures from the parent/guardian as well as the coach/instructor as part of the ISPE application process.
- The parent/guardian agrees to undertake all transportation of the student to and from ISPE activities, events, and competitions. The District is not responsible for providing any transportation.
- The parent/guardian and the student will be required to sign the HBCSD Parent/Guardian Waiver, Release of Liability, Indemnity Agreement, and Assumption of Risk for Participation in ISPE and the HBCSD Hold Harmless Agreement ISPE, which hold the District harmless from any liability or claims as a result of participation in the ISPE program.
- All ISPE instructors/coaches are required to sign an HBCSD Hold Harmless Agreement ISPE.
- The Hermosa Valley School - Independent Study Physical Education Activity Log must be submitted two weeks before the end of the semester. Failure to complete time requirements or failure to submit completed logs may result in loss of credit and removal from ISPE for the following semester.
Other Program Components
- Students will not be required to participate in an additional elective course to replace the regular, on-campus physical education class. The ISPE class period will either be placed at the beginning or end of the school day (dependent on the sport/training schedule). Students accepted to ISPE will be released from school 6th period. Parents may pick up students at the Valley front office.
- ISPE is a PASS/FAIL course only. No letter grade will be assigned.
Ready to Apply?Submit ALL of the following to the Assistant Principal at Hermosa Valley School. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
🗹 HBCSD ISPE Contract 2023-2024 with required signatures
🗹 HBCSD ISPE Documentation of Previous Competition and/or Performances at the Regional, State or National level
🗹 HBCSD ISPE Individualized Learning Plan - must be completed by Student-Athlete with Coach/Instructor
🗹 HBCSD Parent/Guardian Waiver, Release of Liability, Indemnity Agreement, and Assumption of Risk for Participation in ISPE
🗹 HBCSD Hold Harmless Agreement ISPE - must be signed by Agency/Instructor/Coach
These are the six routing steps your student-athlete ISPE application will go through:
- Parent - Initiate.
- Instructor/Coach - Review, sign, and send back to the parent.
- Parent - Review and submit to the Valley School Administrative Assistant. Please note that submission of an application does not constitute approval.
- Valley Administrative Assistant - Sends your application to the Valley Assistant Principal for review.
- Valley Assistant Principal - Review, approve, or deny the request.
- Valley Administrative Assistant - An email is sent from PowerSchool Messenger stating the application has been completed, either "Approved" or Denied."