English Learners Master Plan & ELAC
English Learners Master Plan
The purpose of this plan is to provide a framework of instruction for English Learners and to acquaint their teachers, administrators, and parents with federal, state, and district policies as well as programs, resources, and staff/parent development opportunities. All Hermosa Beach City School District personnel at the district and school level: teachers, counselors, classified personnel, and administrators, are expected to follow the procedures specified in the English Learner Master Plan.
At HBCSD, we believe English Learners (ELs) will learn to use English:
- purposefully for describing, explaining, persuading, informing, justifying, negotiating, entertaining, retelling, etc.
- in meaningful ways by collaborating with others; interpreting meaning; and producing meaningful messages.
- to understand how English works by structuring cohesive texts; expanding and enriching ideas; and combining and condensing ideas.
This EL Master Plan is designed to put into practice the idea that language learning and content learning are most effective when they happen simultaneously, which is at the heart of the 2012 California ELD Standards and the 2014 California/ELD Framework.
This HBCSD English Learner Master Plan makes clear our critical obligations to ELs, is aligned to state standards and laws, and provides a scope and sequence to ensure all ELs are college and career ready.
English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC)
Each California public school with 21 or more English learners must form an English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC).
The ELAC shall be responsible for the following tasks:
- Advising the principal and staff in the development of a site plan for English learners and submitting the plan to the School Site Council for consideration of inclusion in the School Plan for Student Achievement.
- Assisting in the development of the schoolwide needs assessment.
- Ways to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
- Each ELAC shall have the opportunity to elect at least one member to the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC).
Parents or guardians of English learners shall constitute at least the same percentage of the ELAC membership as their children represent of the student body.
The parents or guardians of English learners shall elect the parent members of ELAC. Parents or guardians of English learners shall be provided the opportunity to vote in the election.
ELAC members shall receive training materials and training which will assist them in carrying out their required advisory responsibilities.
- California Education Code, sections 35147, 52176(b) and (c), 62002.5, and 64001(a)
- California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 11308
ELAC Meeting Agendas: